1. When comparing the two materials about FB marketing, I enjoyed reading the 10 day guide to mastering marketing in FB. The other one focused more on the basics of FB, it was like it was wrote to 80 year old.
The most important thing for a company who uses FB is to remember posting current/interesting photos, cut of the long texts and keep it fresh, visually pleasing. This, especially if your target group is mainly the generation who actually grew up with some.
2. Since I already found myself interested in Starbucks in the last weeks task, I'll continue with that. :)
This company uses FB to spread information about their ethics/ideas that are important to them, about what's happening right now and especially to let their customers know about the newest Starbucks-products. They lean on humane emotions in their posts and things that they write about.
While addicting people with mouth watering posts, they are actually thinking about the client. Their comments are read and questions answered.
Starbucks have one main FB-site or it is the site for USA, original. However it has also several other sites for their activity in certain countries or part of the world, for instance: Starbucks UK, Starbucks Espana and Starbucks Malaysia.
When concentrating on the main FB-site, Starbucks, it has succeeded very well in FB: the site has 35 million likes and 23 million people have marked that they've been in a Starbucks-shop.
3. I have used FB in a many ways, also in job search. There are several channels that announce jobs with posting about them, for instance "mytech". I have used it for searching for jobs and applied for them in traditional ways.
I'm not that familiar with LinkedIn but I have heard that employers like to use it. So maybe I will learn to use it in the future.
5. I believe nowadays you have to brand yourself. One of our teachers actually said that especially if you want to succeed in sales, the first step is to sell yourself to the employer in the interview. The idea of selling yourself and branding yourself is crossing each other in close way.
However it depends on what kind of future you want for yourself. In certain fields (sales) and countries (USA, China) I would assume that it is obligatory to know how to brand yourself in order to stand out. And even me as a future engineer, I should create a certain "game plan" when graduated because not everybody can get the job they want: you have to show that you're special, one of a kind.
I looked into a site about personal branding (Forbes). The post shows us few steps which will lead you to a successful branded you. There were good thoughts and ideas written and I believe that these things should all be considered at some level at least.
This doesn't however vanish the truth and how raw and brutal the following sentence sounds:
"What adjectives do you want people to associate with you (as the product) and why?" (Forbes)
I would like to believe that after all, no matter how much we brand ourselves, we would be seen as humans with personal lives, emotions, strengths and weaknesses, not as soulless products.
-Azma
One people of my group chose to talk about Starbucks as well so it was interesting to get another point of view of their Facebook page!
VastaaPoistaYes! I read that one too and I agree with you: the posts are quite different even though they do have some similarities :)
VastaaPoista