To me branding yourself sounds something that only big and famous managers do. But in today’s working life there is so much competition that branding yourself is probably something that should be considered when trying to stand out. Not everyone have to brand themselves like Oprah or Donald Trump but it’s good to keep in mind that when for example looking for a job you’re actually marketing yourself to possible employees.
I
found many articles from the internet that are written about "the tools"
of how to brand yourself. Blogs and social media overall are good ways to
create and keep up your brand. I know that not everyone like to post a lot in
social media and they like to keep their private and working life separate. I
think that branding yourself at its simplest level is to invest in job
applications and communicating with colleagues, employees and everyone else
especially in working life.
At success.com there was three things listed to keep in mind when
expressing your personal brand and they were “be real”, “be vulnerable” and “be
transparent”. I agree with Success’ article and I think that the most important
thing in branding yourself, whether it was done really professionally or not,
is that you are true to yourself and to others and don’t pretend to be
something you’re not. Of course you should highlight the best sides of yourself
but still keep it honest.
- Jenna
I was thinking about the same: is it really neccessary, if you are a "normal" job hunter, to brand yourself? :P I personally wouldn't go that far, but maybe in few years we are all doing that to get a job! :D
VastaaPoistaI really hope that won't be necessary in the future at least not as a "normal" job hunter as you said :D
Poista