I haven't actually used social media in
my studies. Well yeah - we did this one Finnish course in high school
using for instance FB and other web tools. It functioned without any problems
so the experience was positive!
Right now I haven't used social
media as a tool for studying. So I haven't spent any time with social
media for that reason. I would imagine that this kind of working would function especially with long distance courses and it would be very useful way to
express thoughts in-between group members.
What comes to my personal life, I use
social media especially FB and IG to so to say stalk other people: I find
it interesting how people who I used to be close with live right now, what
kind of pictures, posts and thoughts they spread through social media. I'm
also crazy about memes (is this a right term in English?) which roll all
around the social media: I love to laugh! :D I do add some pictures, posts and
thoughts of my own to show other people. But this happens very carefully and in a
shy way. Somehow I would feel exposed if my whole life, or daily
life, would be right there in front of everybody. That's not the life
I'm ready to live!
I would say that the time I use with
social media in private is in control. I try to get interested with
it only when I'm alone because somehow I would like to appreciate my friends and
people who are close to me with my attention. However, when in class, this is
forgotten very often! Did you know that you can avoid falling asleep easily by
focusing on scrolling down your FB for instance?
When comparing the use of social media
in private with the one in working life, the difference is quite obvious. In
private you're representing only yourself and it's your own choice how you like
to depict and express yourself in social media. In opposite, as a employee you
represent yourself but also your employer and for instance the company that
you're working for. In this case the words, pictures etc. posts you put on
social media could have other more meaningful consequences as well.
There are many companies who actually
have an additional part which concerns the use of social media in their
contracts with employees. I myself have been in jobs where they have encouraged
to use social media as a private person to bring the company out, as
marketing purpose. And on the other hand, the negative feedback posted on
social media has been a turn off.
In a way, this doesn't cause any
problems or special thinking for me because I like to keep the most
important things, thoughts and pictures in my own mind and share it only with
certain, chosen people. So the social media is only a tool and an entertainment
channel for me; it's not a channel for sharing my personal information!
- Azma
You brought out the differences between social media in work/school environment and personal life really well! I especially enjoyed how you said that what you're representing effects what kind of content you can post. I think that it's only becoming a bigger issue because the internet is constantly growing its popularity and reach. And it is extremely refreshing to find a person who is aware of their actions in social media and understands the importance of keeping personal information private! :D
VastaaPoista