Quite many has started their social media involvement by using Irc-gallery but I never used it when I was a teenager and I felt like I was the only one back then. I didn’t like the idea of putting photos of myself to the internet and that everybody had nicknames. But when Facebook came I was really excited about that and I was actually the first of my closest friends who started using it. Facebook wasn’t first about posting photos and everybody used their own names so I liked it a lot comparing to Irc-gallery. At first I posted quite a lot of messages on my Facebook-page but probably a couple years ago I deleted all my old writings from my teenage times because I didn’t like the idea that for example my co-workers could browse my page years back and see what I’ve written or done years ago.
Nowadays I use social media quite often but only a few different channels. I check my Facebook regularly to keep in touch with my friends in groups and private messages but I don’t post anything on my wall often. Other social media channels that I use are Pinterest, which is really addictive, and YouTube. I also like to read blogs couple times a week. SlideShare is a site that I use sometimes for school projects. There are many slideshows about different subjects especially in English but also in Finnish. I haven’t used social media at my previous work so it’s a bit hard to analyse that.
Using social media consumes a lot of time but it’s hard to estimate how much it actually takes. Sometimes I use Facebook for school projects to help keeping contact with other group members. It’s useful because so many use it many times a day but at the same time it’s a disadvantage because then it is harder to separate private life and school projects or even work things for some people. I sometimes get this feeling that I should answer immediately to messages or people expect me to do that because for example in Facebook you can see if a person has seen your message/post in a group or in an inbox message. I think social media has some disadvantages but on the other hand it enables so much that a lot of things would be more difficult or even impossible without it.
Hey! I totallu understand you point about irc: i didn't have it either!! And yes, I'm too very careful with my posts in the social media.. The greatness of Facebook is that there is so much to it!
VastaaPoista